A winter afternoon
Spring at St Matthews
Morley Parish Council provides YOUR local services. We strive to make Morley a better place to live, work and visit. Our website includes a wealth of information about how we conduct business and what we do. Find local groups and businesses in our community directory. Use the search or browse the site to find whatever you are looking for. If you can't find what you want or would like to recommend any improvements to our website then please contact us.
Posted: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 13:33 by Parish Clerk
We now have co-opted a new Councillor.
Thanks to all who showed interest.
Of the 6 seats on the Parish Council, only 5 are currently filled, so we'd be very pleased to hear from anyone who thinks they might like to be co-opted to join us in representing the interests of those living and working within Morley - and of course in working to enhance our locality.
Being a councillor revolves principally around attending and giving input at the monthly Council meeting, held in the evening. If you've time to commit to more than that, then that's great, but it's not essential, and if you can only commit to the monthly meeting we'd still like to have you on board - we'll do our very best to make you welcome! More »
Do join us... » Less
Posted: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 07:06 by Kath Hardman
Morley W.I. welcome guests to our meeting at Morley Hayes at 7.30 on Tuesday 12th July to hear our speaker Peter Robinson, Environmental Officer for Derby. It's a great time to hear about Peter's work as the W.I. is a founder member of Climate Coalition and also Derby City are currently holding a consultation about the future of the city to enable everyone to have their say on the subject of the city in the future. https://letstalk.derby.gov.uk/city-centre-vision More »
We welcome new members and are pleased to also welcome visitors to any our meetings which are held at Morley Hayes at 7.30 on the 2nd Tuesday of the month (except August). Our activities include a Craft Group, a Walking Group, visits, speakers and other activities. We are a friendly group from Morley and surrounding areas. For more information contact Chrissie_hall@hotmail.com or Janeh2006@hotmail.co.uk » Less
Posted: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 16:44 by Parish Clerk
1. Who is on the top of the buttercross/bartercross?
Madonna and child, Mary and Jesus.
2. Sit and rest a while here by courtesy of whom?
3. What can you tell us about John Allsop?
He was a Gunner, in the Royal Field Artillery and gave his life in the 1914-18 War
4. What species is it?
5. Take a guess at its age?
A tree surgeon said 600 years, the Church's Architect said 1000 years (so any answer between 600 and a thousand counted as correct. ) More »
6. What anatomical feature adorns a nearby colourful crest?
A Hand - on the top of the crest over the door to the Mausoleum
7. What is GB0623?
8. Where is PAM?
Initials PAM are stamped on a cast iron water hydrant in the pavement.
9. What trade is mentioned on a sign?
Blacksmith (Morley Smithy)
10. Can you identify any connection to Ken Dodd the comedian?
Didididididi (diddymen) lettering on the cast iron man hole cover set into the pavement
11. What bus numbers go to Derby?
12. 'Hedwig', an owl ornament perching on a hedge surrounding a wishing well in the school garden .
13. What is a member of what?
'Morley Primary School is a member of The National Outstanding Primary Schools Teacher Training Consortium'.
14. What is/was the purpose of the brick tower in the distance to your left?
Former water tower.
15. What perches on top of St. Matthew's Church spire?
Cockerel, weather vane
16. Who's 'Way' is this?
Derby Nomad Way
17. What is in operation?
Fly tipping (Sign says 'Warning Fly Tipping operation in progress CCTV in use'.)
18. What frames the hermaphrodite amphibian ?
A red triangle (A triangular sign edged in red appears on top of a pole with the image of a frog/toad.)
19 . How many 'Way Markers' are there on the wooden pole opposite the signpost?
20. How many years before the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2nd's Coronation, was the signpost erected?
Signpost dated DCC 1932, Coronation 1953, so it had been there 21 years
21. What variety is the tree, on the left of the short path between the top of the stone steps and the single track road to the Retreat?
22. What variety of tree stands just before the Sure Screen information board?
Monkey puzzle tree
23. What variety of tree stands just after the SureScreen information board?
Cedar » Less